Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lent: Five Weeks until Easter

In the desert, Jesus faced physical discomfort. Hunger and thirst. Ironic, The Bread of Life Himself without physical sustenance. Scripture tells us that the Devil came to Jesus in the wilderness to test Him,
The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.” Luke 4:3

The enemy used Jesus’ physical condition to test His personal identity. If you are the Son of God – prove it! Prove who you are by showing what you can do for yourself.

An interesting test. The test of “flesh.” Prove who you are by the standard of how well you can take care of your own needs. If we can provide for ourselves, then surely we are independent. If we can buy big houses, fancy cars, designer clothes, then surely we are successful. “Don’t help me, I can do it by myself” is one of the first things toddler’s learn to say. “I can tie my shoes all by myself now” – it proves I’m a big girl!

Jesus’ answer to Satan was,
"It is written: 'People do not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4:4

In refusing to satisfy His own physical needs, Jesus is telling us that the true standard of who we are and what we need is not based in the physical realm. It isn’t about what we have or what we can do on our own. It isn’t about meeting all of our needs by ourselves. Who we are is based on whose we are, and therefore real sustenance is not about what we can provide for ourselves, but what God wants to give us.

How do we break this mind-set of trying to prove ourselves by showing how well we can provide for our own needs? One way is by going without… giving up, or better yet, anonymously giving away those very things by which we have been defining ourselves, and by turning our awareness and thankfulness to what God is giving us today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it is the "world" or myself that defines me by what I can provide for myself -- one thing I am sure of, that isn't how God defines me. So I wonder why the other opinions are so important to me?
Scotty

One Busy Mom said...

Robyn,

I'm linking your blog to mine.

--brandichambless.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a gtreat perspective on what "giving up" is about.

Greg

About Me

My photo
Robyn Henk, author of B.L.E.S.S.E.D, discovering God’s bigger dream for you, wife of 38 years, mother of six grown children, and grandmother of three. The experience of God’s gracious love and provision in her life has led to her passion of bringing women into deeper intimacy with God, and fuller understanding of God’s love and providence for their lives. She has attended classes in Theology and Christian Ministry at Golden Gate Baptist Seminary, as well as researching The Geographic and Archeological History of the Bible in Israel and Rome, with Azusa Pacific University. Robyn has spoken on three continents and developed and spoke at the Women of Purpose Conference in Kiev, Ukraine; Kitale, Kenya; and to the Lakota and Dine’ First Nations in America. She has also taught Spiritual Disciplines, Parenting, Christian Leadership for Women, and Teaching for Significance clinics.