Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Simeon: Heart's Revealed


And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.” Luke 2:34-35

It is easy to fall into the trap of tradition, ritual, and stirring rhetoric. We can become complacent in our worship or excited and motivated over some new teaching – but both can cause our worship to become false. Jesus’ has come to reveal the true intentions, attitudes, and condition of our hearts and thoughts. God is not fooled by our outward actions. In 1Samuel 16:7, God told Samuel, “The LORD doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1Samuel 16:7

When the religious leaders of the time condemned Jesus’ followers for not following tradition, J
Jesus called them hypocrites,
Jesus replied, “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote,
 ‘These people honor me with their lips,
 but their hearts are far from me.  
Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’
For you ignore God’s law and substitute your own tradition.” Mark 7:6-8

Today, as representatives of Christ on earth, let’s open our hearts and minds to Christ’s examination and make sure we are truly honoring Him with our words, our attitudes, and our actions.

Lets Do Something About It:
·      Slowly and meditatively read the following passage from Psalm 139.
·      Reflect on the words, and then allow some time to listen for and absorb God’s response to you.
·      Journal or record your insights.
·      Pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you into true humility before the Lord.
You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely…
Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalms 139:1-4,23-24

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Robyn Henk, author of B.L.E.S.S.E.D, discovering God’s bigger dream for you, wife of 38 years, mother of six grown children, and grandmother of three. The experience of God’s gracious love and provision in her life has led to her passion of bringing women into deeper intimacy with God, and fuller understanding of God’s love and providence for their lives. She has attended classes in Theology and Christian Ministry at Golden Gate Baptist Seminary, as well as researching The Geographic and Archeological History of the Bible in Israel and Rome, with Azusa Pacific University. Robyn has spoken on three continents and developed and spoke at the Women of Purpose Conference in Kiev, Ukraine; Kitale, Kenya; and to the Lakota and Dine’ First Nations in America. She has also taught Spiritual Disciplines, Parenting, Christian Leadership for Women, and Teaching for Significance clinics.