Sunday, April 25, 2010

Really? You Sent This to Me?

There has been a disturbing ‘joke’ going around the Internet lately. It goes like this:

"DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN"

            What is disturbing to me is not that this kind of coarse 'humor' is out there, but that it is being sent to me by my friends who claim to be followers of Christ. That this brand of mean-spiritedness is not only finding safe harbor in their thoughts, but is also being openly expressed and published truly saddens me. Furthermore, I am deeply ashamed that apparently my personal life has so poorly reflected the character of Christ that they would assume I would appreciate something like this.
            I know, some will say, “Come on Robyn, it’s just a joke, lighten up.” But that is just the problem. I can find no humor or light in this brand of coarse folly that brutalizes prayer, death, and diversity.
            Regardless of your (or my) political positions, instead of praying for the death of our political opponents, wouldn’t prayer be better encouraged for how we can join together to fulfill our mandate to “Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows” (Isaiah 1:17)?
            Now, I assume (at least I hope) that no actual prayers are being thus said, so then why spread such divisive drivel? Can we not serve the Internet and our causes better by spreading words of hope and inspiration?  Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. (Hebrews 10:24) and try to not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  (Ephesians 4:29)
            Ok, I know that even now I am no doubt being dropped from many “friends” lists, or maybe even being added to the ‘joke,’ “Dear God, Robyn is my ‘favorite’ blogger…”
But that’s ok I can live with that.

4 comments:

Greg said...

I agree. I like good humor but this goes beyond that. And really, no one could put Swazie, Fawsett and Jackson as their favorites.

Greg

Michelle said...

Amen! Great response! I am thankful I have not seen this going around yet!

Dawn's Travels said...

Excellent. This is going around facebook and is not funny @ all. If the liberal left did something like this the conservatives would be up in arms.

Cheryl said...

Hi Robyn, Thanks for meeting me today. About your post, I agree with you. That type of humor reminds me of the cartoon Maxine, and is a good picture of what we don't want to be like. When we act like that, we look like Maxine, not Jesus. And, you are my favorite blogger! I love you!

About Me

My photo
Robyn Henk, author of B.L.E.S.S.E.D, discovering God’s bigger dream for you, wife of 38 years, mother of six grown children, and grandmother of three. The experience of God’s gracious love and provision in her life has led to her passion of bringing women into deeper intimacy with God, and fuller understanding of God’s love and providence for their lives. She has attended classes in Theology and Christian Ministry at Golden Gate Baptist Seminary, as well as researching The Geographic and Archeological History of the Bible in Israel and Rome, with Azusa Pacific University. Robyn has spoken on three continents and developed and spoke at the Women of Purpose Conference in Kiev, Ukraine; Kitale, Kenya; and to the Lakota and Dine’ First Nations in America. She has also taught Spiritual Disciplines, Parenting, Christian Leadership for Women, and Teaching for Significance clinics.