Monday, December 31, 2007

Resolutions You Can Keep (part 3)

Resolve
The second preparation step for the Holy Spirit's make-over is to resolve to make myself available to whatever the Holy Spirit wants to do in me. Transformation is not always easy, or comfortable, or even popular. Romans 12:1, 2 tells us to “... offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”
Stepping out from what is socially acceptable or popular is hard, and it requires a willing determination and confidence that will not give up until the work is done. Real transformation requires an absolute certainty and commitment to the promise “... that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6(NIV). It means not giving up until that last day!

We need to consider:

  1. How willing am I to prayerfully and honestly resolve to ask God to, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you...” Psalm 139:27,28 (NLT) and to ask the Holy Spirit to show me any attitudes, motives or behavior that is getting in the way of His transforming work in my life?
  2. How willing am I to prayerfully and honestly resolve to: “... throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and ... run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1 (NIV) by confessing and turning away from the things that distract and impede the Spirit’s influence in my life?
  3. How willing am I to prayerfully and honestly resolve to:“... fix [my] eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith” Hebrews 12:2 (NIV) by filling my mind and heart with the knowledge and understanding of Him through prayer and daily reading and study of the His Word?
  4. How willing am I to prayerfully and honestly resolve to: no longer live for myself but for Him who died for me and was raised to life (See 2 Corinthians 5:15) and to be an “imitator of God ... and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God” Ephesians 5:1,2 (NIV)?

To be truly transformed this New Year we must prayerfully consider if we are truly willing to let go of all the things that are distracting my complete devotion to God -- our comfort, our attitudes, our past grievances and mistakes. We must honestly determine if we are willing to truly commit our attention and time to knowing and following Christ's will for our lives.

Holy Spirit, I want to be totally and completely available for You to work in my life. Help me to identify and deal with anything that is distracting or obstructing Your work in my life. Amen

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Robyn Henk, author of B.L.E.S.S.E.D, discovering God’s bigger dream for you, wife of 38 years, mother of six grown children, and grandmother of three. The experience of God’s gracious love and provision in her life has led to her passion of bringing women into deeper intimacy with God, and fuller understanding of God’s love and providence for their lives. She has attended classes in Theology and Christian Ministry at Golden Gate Baptist Seminary, as well as researching The Geographic and Archeological History of the Bible in Israel and Rome, with Azusa Pacific University. Robyn has spoken on three continents and developed and spoke at the Women of Purpose Conference in Kiev, Ukraine; Kitale, Kenya; and to the Lakota and Dine’ First Nations in America. She has also taught Spiritual Disciplines, Parenting, Christian Leadership for Women, and Teaching for Significance clinics.